Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Platelets and Mydriasis
Joanna's sister Catherine has only 10,000 platelets! That's really bad news because normal range is like 100,000-400,000. It could be many possibilities, but they think it is either her immune system attacking itself, which can usually be treated with steroids and other methods, or she might have leukemia. Scary. We're all just waiting to hear what the count will be tomorrow when she goes back in for more tests. If they go down anymore, she will be admitted to the hospital for a blood transfusion. Eeks. I was really stupid when she told me -- reason #372 why I need to go to nursing school -- because I thought she meant she only had 10 platelets. Duh! She would be dead! She said, "They're down to 10," and I knew in my head that it sounded super low, but I should have known she meant 10,000, which is still super low... anyway, I had a brain fart. No brain moose. I hope it isn't leukemia.

My pupils are hugely dilated and very sensitive to light right now because I went to the eye doc. My prescription got worse. He said that they won't level out until I'm 27 and then they'll deteriorate slowly from then. I got to wear those spiffy sunglasses that are made of plastic -- you unroll them -- and they just cling to the sides of your head. I looked like Ray Charles, well, except I'm a woman and my skin is peach and my hair is longer and I can't dance like him, but other than that...

No comments: