I drank some tea that was not decaf. At 9 pm. Not a good idea if you want to go to sleep.
I looked down at my hands today and realized that they look like my mom's hands. When I was a kid, I would hold her hand up and inspect it, expecting to find the answers to life's questions. Sometimes I did. Sometimes I didn't. My mother is a teacher. She doesn't make a lot of money and she works her hands to death. Cleaning faces, writing on boards, turning pages all day. I can't believe I have those hands now, those 25-year-old hands. I wonder when Addy will start inspecting my hands, looking for answers or just comfort. I hope they will provide both. I hope my nursing hands will get a lot of use. You can learn a lot about a person by looking at their hands. A man that worked outside his whole life has very different hands than a woman who shops at Nordstrom's when she's bored. On the bus are many hands that have worked hard. I am proud to say that my hands blend in on the bus. They are not out of place, overgroomed, over-diamonded, or neatly manicured. They are my daughter's hands, my mother's hands, my hands.
1 comment:
And I hope all our hands have paint to wash off them, calloused fingers from guitar strings to keep filed down, and paper cuts from turning pages.
If your daughter has those...
...if we have those...
it's a life well-lived.
Post a Comment