She looks up at me with red, puffy, teary eyes and says with a nasal-y congested voice, "I would give anything for him to feel better. I would trade places with him in a heartbeat." She cries as I hug her awkwardly and cry a little myself, remembering what it was like to watch my daughter cough and cough and cough and never catch her breath without oxygen delivered by face mask.
This is the mother of one of my patients, a tiny baby with a nasty virus that basically attacks his nose and trachea (the breathing tube that leads to the lungs). We're talking mucho mucho congestion, coughing, breathing difficulties, and sore muscles. This child needs me. And I need him. I learn on him. I hate that he's sick but without him I would not learn how children should breathe. How things can go wrong. What it looks like for a virus to attack the tiny body of a baby no older than a few weeks.
It's heartbreaking.
And it's my job.
One dose of comfort. One dose of medical knowledge. One dose mechanic. One dose respiratory therapist. One dose of curiosity. One dose of fear.
I. Absolutely. Love. My. Job.
Thank you God. Thank you thank you thank you.
6 comments:
Go Steph! Go Steph! Un dia nuestros caminos se cruzaran, y juntaremos nuestros recursos, conocimientos, y esfuerzos para poder redefinir cuales son los derechos humanos que todos merecen . . . por que nunca contestas mis correos en espanol? :)
I.
Absolutely.
Love.
That.
You.
Are.
Doing.
That.
Job.
And...
That our God, in His perfect wisdom and plan, has you there. Now. For the baby. And that family.
I don't think I'd want anyone else doing it. You are such a consistant encouragement to me, Steph. Thanks.
you rock, sistah!!
thanks for coming over and drinking cheap randall's wine with me and walkin the Scoot. Come back soon!
and yes, to echo Brent: It makes me feel at ease to know that you are doing your job. More medical professionals SHOULD love their jobs - and don't. I think it's kind of similar in Early CHildhood Education -- we do not need grumps and those in it just for the (measley) money in preschools and other educational centers.
beautiful
its so awesome to hear people say I LOVE MY JOB. I am happy to hear you say it and happy to hear Kendra say it. That is cool as a mom to learn how the babies body works...
you should buy cialis online.
that being said, Hi steph!
-bro#1
Post a Comment