Monday, January 28, 2008

Mixed Feelings

Huz and I are watching the state of the union and I wanted to write about my mixed feelings. But it's probably not what you would expect from a hippie anti-war nonviolent public healthy flower child like myself. (Did you like all those adjectives I used to describe myself? I'm sooooo multifaceted. Look at me. Look at me. Aren't I lovely and rebellious?)

I got teary-eyed when Bush honored the men and women serving our country in the military. How can I feel this way, a person so devoted to nonviolence I have debated internally whether or not I would ever even hit someone if they came into my home to harm me or my children? (I'm such a weirdo.) Because regardless of my idealism and naiivety, it is inspiring that people are willing to die for my freedom. They are willing to die so that I might question my president openly online without fear of persecution. They are willing to die so that I might worship whoever I want wherever I want. That is inspiring. Somehow my juxtaposed strong military upbringing and major aversion to violence come together in times like this. I recognize that while I prefer diplomacy to violence, talking to fighting, peace to war, I cannot discount the voluntary service of Americans in uniform.

Thank you, Dad. I am proud to call you my father and proud to say that I grew up an Air Force Brat.

1 comment:

Charlie Nas said...

Remember when the crazy guy kicked our door in? Dad talked with the poor confused under-medicated man instead of pummeling him with the golf club I fetched him. Maybe your non-violence streak isn't in start juxtaposition to our father, or our upbringing.

(I followed your lead, I never get to pull out 'juxtapose' in a sentence)

-Bro