I just watched Obama's speech on Youtube. It was inspiring. He was very frank about race and I really appreciate that. I like how he said that one of the most segregated hours in America is on Sunday morning at church. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to feel "at home" in a church since I went to Church Under the Bridge in Waco. When I was there, I saw a glimpse of heaven. I saw a glimpse of how it is possible to truly serve side by side with people my grandfather told me were useless, lazy, and stupid. I saw a glimpse of how it is possible to see someone as a fellow human being, not a fellow white person or rich person or well-educated person. I was exposed to my own beliefs of superiority. I connected with other women that were raised at some point by a single mom. My world view was expanded to include the notion that I am spoiled, educated, and wealthy, but I don't have to apologize for who I am -- I just have to use the gifts and skills and wealth that God has given me to help others. Church Under the Bridge is not perfect. But at least they helped me step out of my skin for a few years and look at myself through other people's eyes. I also learned this when I visited Haiti with a church I wouldn't dream of worshiping with now. I learned this on a trip to Haiti with a bunch of people that look, sound, and act like me. I learned this on a trip when I was only 18 with a church with good intentions. And that's why when I walked into Geoff's bedroom for a the first time and saw an old beat-up picture of Martin Luther King, Jr., I was hooked for life. I wanted to find people like me that were searching for reparations. That were searching for equality. That were searching for a balance. That's why I surround myself with the kind of people I call my friends. Because you all are searching for these things too.
Happy Easter, world. I wish I was better at telling you about my love for Jesus and what he did, but for now, I'll just keep being a nurse, a mom, a wife, a daughter, a sister, and a friend and hopefully you'll see why I love Him and why He loves me.
6 comments:
Where did this girl come from? Is she really related to me? Did she come into this world like this or was she shaped somehow in a miraculous way? I know I am in awe of her thoughts and somehow surprised at the same time. I haven't spent any time questioning my beliefs until my very own daughter grew up and taught me that it is OK to do so! You go girl and I will vote for Obama if you don't tell Don.
You wouldn't dream of worshipping with us now? Hmmm. I'm not exactly sure what we did or didn't do...but I can assure you it was with more than "good intentions." It was done with love, in order to help you become precisely who you are right now.
At least as far as I'm concerned it was...
...and trust me, I really dig who you are right now..
I'm in the same boat, Steph. Hanging in the post-CUB religious/church fog searching for that meaningful, spiritual connection with people, nature, the world.
For now, I'll spend Sunday mornings outside--in the yard, fishing with my husband, or walking the dog--living life instead of doing or faking life.
:)
Good words Steph. Thanks.
Can you imagine our children starting to grow up with Obama as president? Wouldn't that be a good thing? Their idea of what a president is would be formed by this man. I think that could be wonderful.
Nora James was born on this day :) In my bed...it was the best thing that has ever happened to me. and about a week later, I had a dream and you were in it.
My favorite part . . .
My world view was expanded to include the notion that I am spoiled, educated, and wealthy, but I don't have to apologize for who I am -- I just have to use the gifts and skills and wealth that God has given me to help others.
Amen! This is the philosophy I live by.
Post a Comment