Friday, May 09, 2008

Crazy Dreams

I think that would be my Native American name if I could have one.

Why must I dream of murder and pitchforks and in the style of The Talented Mr. Ripley? I wake up a lot from crazy murderous dreams really scared. I ask Geoff, "Can I switch to the inside?" (Our bed is up against the wall.)

New Topic:

Teacher Appreciation Week...

In terms of affecting my life directly, I'm most thankful for so many teachers:
Ms. Sandra Dutram (4th grade in Niceville, Florida)
Mr. Schaffer (6th grade science in Colorado Springs, Colorado)
Dr. Jeannette Denton (college Linguistics professor in Waco, Texas)
Dr. Young (college Chemistry professor in Waco, Texas)
My Huz
My Mom
And ever so many more...

The passion, energy, and - let's face it - years off of their life these people have given to the education of young minds will be remembered always.

Favorite memories of...
Ms. Dutram turns to us and says with that sweet voice, "Class, this is my husband," and in walks the most beautiful man in all of creation, or at least that's what I thought. My first crush. Wow. To be married. That seemed SO grown up to me back then.

Mr. Schaffer would always say before class, "Any needs, wants, or concerns?" and would genuinely let us go around and share things about our little middle school lives - family crises, crush advice, and problems with the homework. What a guy. He was more than a Science teacher and that's why I ended up liking Science so much.

Dr. Denton helped me realize that I didn't want to be a missionary, actually, I wanted to experience other cultures. But she did it in such a subtle and encouraging way, that it lead me to my true passion, nursing. What a gal.

Dr. Young inducted me into the Royal Order of the Pink Flamingo and from that day forth I LOVED Chemistry more than any other science around. What a simple reward system (a pink flamingo sticker for a 100 on the test and my choice of any pink flamingo item in his office) that motivated me to be such a good student! Love it.

My mom and huz are both "retiring" (who knows, they might be drawn back someday) from teaching this year. They're burnt out, feel beat by the system and standardized testing, and have given their all. I'm proud of both.

Now go do some things for yourself for a change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to give my mom props. She's had a profound impact on your life. And she's Polish too. I think she'd be fine being listed right after your mom, she's not egocentric like that, so . . . .