Thursday, October 09, 2003

"Dreams can come true... Ya know ya got to have hope. Ya know ya got to be strong." Remember that song? It's on Magnolia.

I met some really cool people on the bus today. First, I met Cassie. Cassie is 28 years old, has three children, an ex-husband that she wants to get back with, and a dilemma that makes all my stupid little troubles disappear -- she is trying to get qualified as disabled. Why, you ask? A couple years ago she climbed the flight of stairs to her apartment and fainted at the top (because of low blood sugar) and proceeded to fall down the stairs to the bottom unconscious, injuring her back and brain so much that she has recurring seizures and cannot hold a job for very long. Big bummer, eh? She's remarkably joyful despite her situation. That's encouraging.

Second, I met Irvin. Irvin turned 40 years old today! He spent his birthday morning and afternoon looking for a job -- preferably a driving job -- because he recently moved here from San Antonio, where he used to drive a dump truck. He asked me if my wedding ring was real and how old could I possibly be to be married? I am often mistaken for a teen. Must be the absence of make-up and the overalls I've worn since high school that tricked him. Hee hee. Irvin is nice and I hope we meet again. Mainly, I hope he gets a job.

Capital Metro bus system entertains me between classes once again. :)

No comments: