Sunday, May 16, 2004

Blueberry Muffins

I made them tonight out of thin air! (Click on the title above for the recipe.) It's amazing what you'll find when you're scavenging around at 10pm for a snack. At first we were looking for a sopapilla recipe but didn't have any lard or shortening (thank goodness) so I thought, hmmm, there are blueberries in the freezer... and the rest is in my tummy. I used to love baking with my Mom. She would make those blueberry muffins with the blueberries in a little metal tin that had to be popped open. I would lick the berry tin, mixing bowl, spoon, and anything else that had touched the batter. Oh yeah, now I can lick the bowl to my heart's content. Being a grown up ain't so bad.

My brother turned twenty today, TWENTY. What is this world coming to? I remember just the other day when we were 10 and 6, respectively, and Chuckie was a pumpkin ninja for Halloween. I believe I've told this story before, but it was hilarious and therefore, worth telling again. He wore orange pumpkin pajamas that were about 2 years old and a little too small -- he didn't care. His shoes were my old black slippers -- don't tell him you know about his affinity for my old clothing (when we were children). He wore a silly looking pumpkin mask that was held on by an elastic strap that had to be sectioned together with safety pins. His nose was painted black -- I can smell that Halloween makeup my Mom kept for years. He would say, "Hiiiyaah!" and kick you in the shins. No one could escape the shin-pain of the stealth pumpkin ninja.

No one.

Here's to you, Chuckie. Happy birthday. MONKEY CHEEZ!! :D

No comments: