Tuesday, May 18, 2004

No Job, No Cry

Well, I haven't been able to get a sub job this week. Hopefully something will come up tomorrow. I'm not crying, though, because I start nursing school in two weeks and it's gonna be intense. In 15 months (by next August) I'll be a nurse! Crazy. I think I'll use this time to read for pleasure -- With Her in Ourland (sequel to Herland) by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. I really dig her writing. I can't believe the thoughts she was able to put down so long before feminism was an accepted word, theory, etc. It took a lot of guts to say the things she did so long ago. If I were to teach a high school English class, I would have them read these "two" books -- they're really just one novel in two parts -- as part of their utopian and feministic literature. I think they would spark some really interesting discussions. I miss my college literature courses. Maybe I should be an old fart and join some type of book club. I really miss the discussion and literary criticism.

I also miss living with a bunch of girls. I love living with Geoff, don't get me wrong, but I miss that closeness with my girl friends. Living together. Eating together. Talking till wee hours of the night. Confiding in one another about everything and anything. Women are good at these things. There's some kind of supernatural bond between women that men will never understand. :)

No comments: