Swimming
Sometimes I think it's better to only go swimming every now and then and in a pool that doesn't belong to you. I personally feel like it should be a novelty and not accessible 24/7. Adeline loves the pool, and she is of the same mind on this issue as I am. I don't think she would like it as much if we did it every day. I love hearing kids play. At the Episcapool today (it's not a religious slur, ask Kendra) there were a bunch of little girls playing. They would scream things like, "No pink swimsuits allowed in the pool" and "Natalie, pretend you're 21 and I'm 20 and Macayla isn't allowed to dive unless she's 20. Macayla, you're not 20 yet, sorry." You can't write this stuff. It's the pure gold conversation of life stuff.
And John was on his cell phone the entire time. I felt like he was acting out a character on Seinfeld that Jerry or Elaine would have stopped dating because of this cell phone attachment. It was entirely out of character for John but the funny thing is, I didn't see it as rude because I love John and to me it spoke of his genuine desire to connect with his friends in Utah, not any disdain for us. It was kind of like one of those moments where you realize your good friend just came into your house and helped themselves to your fridge, pantry, and beer supply all on their own and made you feel more at home by doing so. Like he was saying, Oh, you guys are like family. I don't actually have to entertain you.
Pacifiers
Instead of actually participating at church, I hung out at my usual spot -- the hallway. Except this time, it was different. The hallway was no longer a place where Addy and I roamed the dirty tile floor together, discovering bugs and dust. The hallway was buzzing with new life. TWO babies and their parents plus one pregnant momma accompanied Adeline and I on our dirty tile floor roaming. It was actually a social event this time. A mom dropped her baby's pacifier on the floor and said, "Oh, darn." I offered to clean it off at the water fountain but mentioned that I usually clean off Addy's dirty pacifier with my own water supply -- my mouth. She laughed and said she does it too but was afraid to do it in front of us. Being a parent sometimes makes you feel so isolated and gross. Like, I can't believe I just picked that pacifier up off the disgusting floor, licked it like a lollipop, making sure to get all the little carpet fuzzes and cat hairs off of it so my daughter can suck on a plastic tip covered in my spit, and didn't even flinch as I pulled the fuzzes and hairs out of my mouth.
Kefir
I drank some tonight. It sounds gross but it's just a yogurt drink. Kefir sounds like something you would call that guy in ROTC in high school that wouldn't stop asking you out in front of everyone, both embarrassing you and making you feel bad for him as you reject him yet again(and his uniform with bright yellow ropes -- what is that about?). What a Kefir.
5 comments:
1. It was so nice seeing you and Addy last night! Distracting, even. While we were on stage playing, I kept seeing you guys having so much fun in the atrium, I wanted to go play too! You're both looking very well.
2. You are a funny, funny girl... you kefir! :P
Okay, I'm probably totally reading this wrong, but when I read "Kefir" my brain made the connection to "Kiefer", as in the Kiefer who plays Jack Bauer on 24...who I really like as an actor, but I've always thought Kiefer is such an odd name...it has always sounded to me like something a three-year-old is trying to pronounce but can't quite say. Anyway... Liked your post about the lobby at church...totally there with ya! Today I wiped Jack's crusty boogers off his upper lip with my spit-covered finger. I never, ever thought I would write a sentence like that. They're so right when they say in that Johnson & Johnson commercial, "Having a baby changes everything." So right. :)
that was a good blog entry
Caroline was right...
Steph!! I know you don't mean to be exclusive. It happens. Of course it does. You have to talk about baby things with other mommas. It is a great bond that I can't wait to share! I was just lamenting and maybe complaining that I am not a part of that group yet. I am going thru this baby craze right now.
Please don't feel bad. Mommas Unite!
Love,
michelle
PS I would lurve to talk about gardening with you. Anytime momma, anytime.
Post a Comment