Friday, September 08, 2006

Secretions

Secretions are a regular part of my job. Pretty gross, huh? Don't know if I told the blogging world yet, but I got a job as a nurse (woohoo!) at the Children's Hospital of Austin. I work nights on the respiratory floor, so like I said before, I'm all about the secretions.

One of the greatest (and hardest) parts of my job is speaking (and learning) Spanish. I swear, since I speak a little bit, they throw all of the Spanish speaking families my way. It's great and it's intimidating. I am NOT fluent by any means. I know how to ask and say the important stuff, but like last night, I was trying to remember how to say, "I'm going to weigh your baby now" and I couldn't remember the verb to weigh. Pesar? Yo no se.

I worked 12 hours last night (7pm to 7am) and now I'm about to go to class at 9am to 11am. I am insanely tired. Don't worry, I'm riding the bus home so I won't fall asleep at the wheel. I love working nights, thought. I love it.

Let me tell you about a typical night...

6:45pm: I arrive on the unit and "get report," which basically means I listen to the day shift nurse's report over the phone and then go find her/him and ask any questions about the kid.

8pm: I assess all my patients, which basically means I listen to their lungs, heart, bowels, inspect their bodies, and ask the parents about their daughter/son. I clean up the room a bit, put my name on the board and tell them to call me if they need me or lameme si necesita algo. Booyah.

9pm-3am: Give meds, suction noses, listen to more lungs, turn off alarms, start IVs, feed babies, change diapers, hold babies (ahhh, an added bonus of my job), administer oxygen, chart everything, educate my patients and parents, and ever so much more.

4am: My least favorite time -- blood draws. Not a single child or parent or nurse enjoys a blood draw. We had to poke a kid more than 8 times last night. It was ridiculous. And it had nothing to do with poor technique -- he was just what we call a "hard stick." 3 different nurses tried to draw blood from this kid. Ick ick I hate hard sticks.

5am: Get my report ready for the day shift, finish up all my duties/meds/charting. Laugh hysterically with my fellow night nurses because we're all so tired and delerious at this point that everything and anything is funny.

6am-7:30am: Hang out and wait for any questions the oncoming nurses might have about the patients and yawn about 8 hundred times. (I just yawned as I was typing yawn.)

And that is a very simple version of what I'm getting paid to do.

I love it. I love it. I love it.

11 comments:

Ann said...

Congrats!!!

Kendra said...

thanks for the summary. you are insane, but at least you're doing THE THING you love to do. I wish I had been doing something more amazing at 3am. I was watching Cosby Show reruns. go figure.

Anonymous said...

You are a goddess.

Adam said...

Erin stole my comment...or maybe not.

Anyways, I think this is wonderful. I can imagine you being a fantastic children's nurse.

It is a beautiful thing for someone to love their work. I am glad that is true for you right now in what you are doing.

Anonymous said...

Very-very interesting!
buy viagra
cheap viagra online
Bye

Anonymous said...

Halo, cool site.
My site here [url=http://viagra-store.info/]viara[/url].
Take http://viagra-store.info#viagra cheap.
thanks.

Anonymous said...

Wazzup, interesting information.
Look at my site [url=http://www.youthpeer.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=327]viara[/url].
Here you can buy http://www.youthpeer.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=327#viagra online.
Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks author.
My site here [url=http://bowtrol-herbal.info]viagra[/url].
Here you can buy http://bowtrol-herbal.info#viagra best.
Bye.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the welcome I am agree with all argument ... [url=http://med911.t35.com/lipitor.html]lipitor[/url] [url=http://med911.t35.com/tramadol.html]tramadol[/url] [url=http://med911.t35.com/soma.html]soma[/url] [url=http://med911.t35.com/viagra.html]viagra[/url]
[url=http://lipus.o rg/zoloft.html]zoloft[/url]http://soma-911.blogspot.com http://tramadol-911.blogspot.com/ [url=http://tramadol-911.blogspot.com ]tramadol[/url] [url=http://soma-911.blogspot.com]soma[/url]other [url=http://med911.t35.com/adverse-lipitor-reaction.html]adverse lipitor reaction[/url] else [url=http://med911.t35.com/dose-lipitor-vs-zocor.html]dose lipitor vs zocor[/url] lipitor [url=http://med911.t35.com/lipitor-negative-side-effects.html]lipitor negative side effects[/url] and look this [url=http://med911.t35.com/soma-by-chicos.html
]soma by chicos[/url] interesting:[url=http://med911.t35.com/soma-sale.html]soma sale[/url] and look this [url=http://med911.t35.com/soma-cod.html]soma cod[/url] or [url=http://med911.t35.com/soma-medication.html]soma medication[/url] viagra [url=http://med911.t35.com/chicos-soma.html]chicos soma[/url] cool info : [url=http://med911.t35.com/drug-medication-soma.html]drug medication soma[/url] and this :[url=http://med911.t35.com/zoloft-weight-loss.html]zoloft weight loss[/url] or [url=http://med911.t35.com/zoloft-withdrawal-symptom.html]zoloft withdrawal symptom[/url] interesting:[url=http://med911.t35.com/zoloft-side-affect.html]zoloft side affect[/url] other [url=http://med911.t35.com/zoloft-long-term-effects.html]zoloft long term
effects[/url] look this [url=http://med911.t35.com/order-viagra.html]order viagra[/url] or [url=http://med911.t35.com/branded-viagra.html]branded viagra[/url] or [url=http://med911.t35.com/viagra-uk.html]viagra uk[/url] zoloft [url=http://med911.t35.com/viagra-information.html]viagra information[/url] and [url=http://med911.t35.com/viagra-research.html]viagra research[/url] and [url=http://med911.t35.com/good-society-viagra.html]good society viagra[/url] a
nd [url=http://med911.t35.com/buy-online-tramadol.html]buy online tramadol[/url] and very creative :[url=http://med911.t35.com/discount-tramadol.html]discount tramadol[/url] and very creative :[url=http://med911.t35.com/50mg-tramadol.html]50mg tramadol[/url] or [url=http://med911.t35.com/picture-tramadol.html]picture tramadol[/url] and very creative :[url=http://med911.t35.com/buy-prescription-tramadol.html]buy prescription tramadol[/url]
G'night

Anonymous said...

Hi dude! You may find it interesting to visit some helpful info on diet

index.html index1.html soma soma 350mg look this argento soma soma carisoprodol else soma fm prescription soma discount soma soma sleep cialis online index.html index1.html index3.html cialis dissolving generic mouth other cialis generic 20mg cialis buy cialis online buy cialis generic online buy cialis in uk cheapest cialis and else cialis drug generic minuteviagra online viagra cialis hz relurl.com and cialis online purchase cialis st order cialis free viagra index.html buy viagra cheap viagra generic viagra buy viagra online order viagra and look this blindness viagra gel tab viagra viagra viagra cialis levitra or free viagra sample order viagra online viagra sale viagra levitra vs viagra cialis comparison levitra viagra and index.html 2dir tramadol buy tramadol tramadol online cheap tramadol effects side tramadol tramadolonline 100 tramadol overnight tramadol interesting:info tramadol and |index.html zoloft side effects mayo zoloft for premature ejaculation weaning off zoloft zoloft litigation interesting:zoloft night sweats buy zoloft zoloft zoloft common side effects and paxil zoloft free zoloftzoloft experience cool info : index.html and this :claritin d claritin side effects child claritin side effects cool info : claritin clarinex and very creative : index.html sinus infection zithromax zithromax information and very creative :zithromax overdose and 10mg antihistamine zyrtec zyrtec d12 hour zyrtec allergy medicine and this :day next zyrtec and index.html diflucan for infant thrush breast diflucan feeding imitrex online imitrex and zomig doctor lipitor vs zocor blister effects lipitor side adverse lipitor reaction dose lipitor vs zocor hair lipitor loss lipitor side effects lawsuit gain keyword neurontin weight neurontin lawsuit neurontin suicide neurontin class action neurontin memory loss cialis generico sildenafil jelly kamagra oral sildenafil citrate sevenseas sildenafil zenegra cheap sildenafil citrate citrate india sildenafil zenegra
.Sincerely

Anonymous said...

Hi! Good site - you're a pretty good writer.....very creative.
index.html index1.html soma soma 350mg discount soma soma by chicos soma carisoprodol or cheap soma soma seed interesting:soma muscle and index.html index1.html index3.html cheap cialis and very creative :cialis pack sample 20mg cialis and buy cheap cialis online buy cialis online dream pharmaceutical cheapest cialis and very creative :cialis forum cialis free sample other cialis pill compare viagra to cialis generic cialis and us online pharmacy viagra index.html buy viagra cheap viagra generic viagra buy viagra online female viagra free viagrabranded viagra gel tab viagra viagra viagra cialis levitra and elseviagra side effects buy generic viagra purchase viagra and elsebest price viagra viagra soft tab and index.html 2dir tramadol buy tramadol or tramadol hcl tramadol and discount tramadol 50mg hcl tramadol and buy cod tramadol and very creative : |index.html zoloft side effects mayo zoloft for premature ejaculation weaning off zoloft zoloft litigation or zoloft night sweats free zoloft zoloft zoloft side effects and zoloft prescription zoloft online zoloft medicine zoloft online index.html interesting:clariten allergy medicine generic claritin claritin dosage other claritin and alcohol and very creative :zithromax generic zithromax dosage zithromax suspension and zithromax pneumonia interesting:10mg antihistamine zyrtec zyrtec cetirizine hci claritin zyrtec allegra or zyrtec allergy treatment and diflucan pahrmacy buy diflucan diflucan drug interaction imitrex nasal spray imitrex overnight index3.html effects lipitor negative side cramp leg lipitor crestor lipitor link lipitor lipitor pravachol gabapentin neurontin neurontin side effects neurontin information neurontin for sleep neurontin tinnitus cialis generico sildenafil sildenafil tablet zenegra 100mg citrate sildenafil zenegra generic sildenafil sildenafil works zenegra

.Bye