Tuesday, January 16, 2007

An Inspiring Life

We watched part of a documentary on MLK, Jr. last night. The most moving part, besides every time he spoke (!) for me was the speech he gave the night before he was killed. Maybe we all read too much into it, but it seems like he knew something was going to happen because he talks about how he's been to the mountain top and he's not afraid of death anymore. He says he wouldn't mind living a long life but he's not afraid if he sees the glory of the Lord sooner than his audience. Really, there haven't been many public heroes that have made an impact on my personal beliefs -- Martin Luther King, Jr. is one of those heroes. His continuing committment to nonviolence, oppressed and poor peoples, and preaching the good news inspire me. That's why we have his picture hanging on our wall. I wish I could tell people about Jesus and God's promises with such confidence as that man. I hope my children will be proud of me when I die. I hope I inspire someone someday. I'm glad there is a day dedicated to his memory. To a man who changed my life, without even knowing it, I say thank you.

1 comment:

Brent said...

I think he knew his death was iminent...he might not have known the day or the hour but he figured it was just a matter of time. Which, in my way of thinking, makes him even more heroic.