Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The mystery is gone

When I went to Sea World as a kid, it was The Coolest Place Ever. Shamu, the dolphins, the coral reef fish exhibits, penguins, log rides. So we took Adeline to Sea World San Antonio two days ago and for her, it was The Coolest Place Ever, but for mommy, it was slightly depressing and not as cool as I remember. The dolphins in their little pool were making me and my sister want to cry. The announcer lady said, "The dolphins can reach speeds up to 10mph in this pool, though in the wild they are able to reach speeds over 22mph." They would swim their little hearts out and then reach the other side and have to slow down and turn around. It made me sad. The four giant Shamus had a much better set up -- I guess they are the real money makers since Addy ended up with a little stuffed Shamu by the end of the day.

Things I learned at Sea World:

Shamu (killer whales) are actually a species of dolphin, not whale. They were first named by Spaniards as "whale killers" because they saw the animals killing seals and small whales. The name got lost in translation somewhere. We're teaching Addy to call them black and white dolphins so she won't live the lie that I lived for 26 years. This was a big deal for me. To think, all this time, even after watching the movie "Free Willy," I was still under the impression that they were freaking whales. I feel betrayed.

I am very pregnant. Though I am only about 4 months pregnant, I might as well be 8 months pregnant because I was a total wuss that day. "This kid is annoying me already." $20 and a gold star for the author of that quote.

I like hanging out with my sis, my mom, and my daughter. It was fun.

Sea World is a Busch amusement park, meaning the beer people and the big giant horses were there. I swear, everything is owned by about two or three companies.

2 comments:

Brent said...

You'll continue to be amazed at what was so cool as a kid turns out to be a let-down as an adult. And you'll be amazed at how often you'll buy stuffed Shamus or other trinkets, too. Having kids skews everything in the best of ways...

Caroline said...

i just want u to know i am thinking of you often and remembering my recent thoughts of "this kid is annoying me already" haha. pregnancy sucks and i feel ya.

we were just talking about taking mahna to sea world..... wierd