Monday, September 24, 2007

She's discovered herself

Well, Adeline has discovered herself as a wonderful playmate. She plays this new game I like to call "Baby Colonies" where she gathers all (and I mean ALL) the blankets in the house, spreads them out on the living room floor in obsessive compulsively straight arrangments, puts a pillow and baby (stuffed animal) on each, and then proceeds to rotate the babies between colonies. Right now she's doing it again and these are her conversations with herself...

"Here you go little baby."

"Thank you, Addy."

"You're welcome."

"Look at all these babies."

"Aww. So cute."

"Now you sleep here."

"Ok."

"Thank you."

"Good night."

"Good night."

"No that's not yours. Here's your blankie."

"Oh, thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Now, everybody 'Shhhh.'"

And so on and so forth.

I wish I could entertain myself so effortlessly. Me, I need input. I need a book or a movie or a conversation (with another human) or a computer. I wish I could remember how to just sit still and be. How to petition God to listen for a few minutes and I'll lend an ear in return. When I lived on a houseboat one summer with my Dad and siblings, I got very good at being by myself. I wrote letters to my friends. I wrote in my journal. I prayed. I just sat on the deck and watched the sun go down. It was quite peaceful and necessary during a time of raging hormones and emotions. I was removed from my everyday life in Lewisville and ushered away to this world on the St. John's River in Florida where people lingered and drank beer and talked all night. Maybe we're supposed to live on a houseboat once in a while to remind ourselves how simple life should be.

For now I'll watch my daughter make colonies in her world of babies and blankies.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

i miss you, Krall Family....

And yes. We should all live on a houseboat. Unless Drop Dead Fred sinks it...

Kelly said...

that's what it was like floating down the amazon - except we drank guarana, not beer

Caroline said...

i wish her and Mahna could play more.... sounds like they are on the same wavelegnth

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph,

Its funny how you recall those lazy summer days on the house boat. "Alone Time" equated to either "Charlie almost dies today" or "super massive fun time supreme" (many times one in the same). Many boredom induced adventures (i.e. going on a blow up raft to visit the alligators in mating season, or picking up stumpy out of the water and placing him on the dock) and talks with family (uncle matt teaching me to blow smoke rings without actually smoking), as well as "the best sleep ever" are the thoughts that flood my mind when I go back to those times.

Oh, and Addy is awesome.