Monday, February 27, 2006

Will I lose my dignity?

Will someone care?

Just thinking today about all the people in the world dying of AIDS. I know, pretty depressing. Well, damnit. It's happening. And the people most likely to die? Those living in poverty. This class is really opening my eyes -- I thought they were open already but they were just slivers. Did you know that in wealthy nations, like ours, AIDS is now considered a "chronic condition." It's still a death sentence in southern Africa, though. And Haiti. And anywhere else people have been crapped on their whole lives.

I'm not sorry for this post. This world angers me some days.

6 comments:

Kendra said...

sorry for your post or sorry for a world so ridden with systemic sin that we can't apologize for they way we DON'T love God and neighbor...?

Anonymous said...

i agree with you. now what do we do?

Anonymous said...

unite. send articles to people about important world events. raise awareness. encourage discussion. conceive the inconceivable.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad i have friends like you to help remind me that the world is suffering. living in LA definitely places me in a bubble that is often hard to escape, but the facts that i learned and the pepople i befriended at CUB always lurk in the back of my mind and every now and then jump out to remind me of the less fortunate and often unloved...

i love you for the amazing heart that you have for you family, your friends, and your neighbors.

vortexia said...

awhile back i met the only person i've ever known who was actively dying of AIDS. it made my heart ache to see how much pain and damage one body can experience. despite all the constant pain, all the illnesses that came because of the AIDS, despite it all, it did not ruin this woman's spirit. i can't even begin to explain it. i will never ever forget her, though.

Anonymous said...

I wish liberals would stop sitting around feeling sad and drippy all the time. I wonder if we like it or something. I think we should blame it on George Bush either way.